Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DIY ornaments for the holidays!

I know I've neglected my blog, and I hate that! As soon as I got back from vacation in August, classes started, then I went away again. After that there was all the school work and everything else and now the holidays are right around the corner. I've just been super busy! But, I have found the time to start crafting and work on some great DIY gifts for the holidays! I'm obsessed with Pinterest and I'm always pinning anything and everything that grabs my attention, just for inspiration. But, my DIY board is truly a place where I pin projects or crafts that I really want to do! I'm super crafty and own half a craft store in my basement so I'm always looking for another project to take on! If you like DIY stuff as much as me then be sure to follow me on Pinterest and check out my latest projects below!


I've been making a ton of different ornaments. Glitter ones are super easy to make and inexpensive too!

What you'll need:
Ornament
Baby oil
Glitter
An empty cup
Ribbon or ornament hook/hanger

Total cost: Under $2.00 per ornament!


Basically all you need is an ornament with an opening. I use the plastic ones instead of the glass because they're less expensive and you don't have to worry about them shattering. I always purchase mine at Michaels and they're usually half off. You can find all different shapes and sizes too!


Then you pour some baby oil, which I purchased at the dollar store, into the ornament. You don't need much at all. Just enough to fully coat the inside. Keep rotating the ornament until you feel like every inch has baby oil on it. Then you can tip it upside down, sitting in a cup if you'd like, so the excess baby oil can make its way out instead of settling in a blob somewhere inside of the ornament. I usually take a paper towel and dab the opening a bunch of times to speed this process up. 

Then you need to start adding glitter of your choice. Any kind will work, you just have to be patient and add small amounts at a time. The skinny tubes of fine glitter work really well because it's easy to pour right from the tube into the opening of the ornament. You want to rotate the glitter around to cover every inch like you did with the baby oil. It gets tricky the closer you get to the opening but you'll figure it out I'm sure!

I love doing it this way because you don't have to worry about the glitter falling off the outside of the ornament because it's all on the inside and it's just as beautiful! 


For this blue and silver one I mixed two different glitters, so the possibilities are endless! You can also add some ribbon, and decorate the outside if you'd like too!

I'll be posting more the DIY projects I've been doing very soon, so stay tuned! 

1 comment: